This year more Penn students expressed an interest in a higher power.

For some religious groups, especially Hillel, the Newman Center and the Muslim Students Association, New Student Orientation included a handful of new late-night activities that aided the recruitment process.

MSA Vice President Aminah Ali, a Wharton senior, credited the Undergraduate Assembly for its hard work in making additions to NSO, including the MSA game night, which took place in Ware College House on Sept. 4, and attracted over 40 students.

"It was an official NSO event this year, and because it did not overlap with another NSO event, it really helped with attendance rates," Ali said.

Likewise, the Newman Center's Father Phil Florio said there was a 40 percent increase - about 20 more people than last year - in student sign-ups at this year's activity fair, as well as a 28 percent increase - four more people - in student sign-ups for the center's freshmen retreat from last year.

"It has been really word of mouth," Florio said of the reason behind the increased sign-ups. "We try to get letters out to students who went to Catholic high schools. I just really think the interest is up in general."

Penn Hillel also reported a large turnout for its NSO events and sign-ups during the activity fair.

"We got close to 160 students who signed up at the activity fair," said Hillel President Aviva Vogelstein, a College senior. "Most of them were freshmen, and the Hillel NSO events so far have been really well attended."

According to the Hillel NSO Committee, 550 students attended Hillel's dinner and performances Friday night. Hillel NSO also gave out 400 Birthright fliers during its Birthright Israel Celebration on Sept. 5, and fed over 450 students at its inaugural late-night pancake event on Sept. 6.

"On a night with a popular downtown party and the NSO comedy night, we had only anticipated 150 to 200 students," Hillel NSO Co-Chairman Evan Schoenbach, a Wharton sophomore, said of the pancake event. "Our supplies, intended to last for three hours, were depleted in 25 minutes. We headed down to Fresh Grocer to completely restock our pancake batter, strawberry and chocolate chip reserves twice during the event."

However, the Hindu Students Council experienced minimal increase in freshmen additions this year, said College junior Alok Choksi.

Still, many campus religious leaders agreed that this year's increase in participation could be partially attributed to an increased interest in spirituality and religion overall.

"I think people want to know more about how religion can help them in their lives," Florio said.