Nearly 14,000 copies of The Daily Pennsylvanian -- almost the entire circulation -- were stolen from distribution sites across campus yesterday.

A sign posted at all of the sites identified the students responsible as the "Black Community" and said the students are not willing to accept "the blatant and voluntary perpetuation of institutional racism against the Black Community by the DP" and by the University.

"Sometimes inconvenience is worth the price," the sign read. "Think about it . . . ."

Many of the stolen copies were recovered from dumpsters and redistributed by DP staff members on Locust Walk, and an extra 6,000 copies of the paper were printed for early afternoon distribution on campus. Several students were taken into custody and questioned by University Police about their possible roles in yesterday's incident, but University Police Commissioner John Kuprevich said yesterday that the individuals who stole the papers will not be held criminally responsible.

"At this point there are no criminal charges that apply because the paper is being put out free at access points to be taken," Kuprevich said, adding that the students would be investigated by the University's internal judicial system.

DP Executive Editor Stephen Glass said the confiscation of the newspapers is unlawful.

"The stealing of newspapers is not only a violation of University policy, it is a criminal offense," Glass, a College junior, said last night. "We expect the University to take all steps necessary to ensure the uninterrupted distribution of the newspapers and hold accountable the individuals and groups who are responsible for the illegal activities."

According to a statement issued by President Sheldon Hackney's office in 1987 and printed in Almanac, the confiscation of publications on campus is against University policy.

"It is inconsistent with the University's Guidelines on Open Expression, and it could violate contractual agreements between the University and other parties," the policy reads. "Members of the University community who are responsible for confiscating publications should expect to be held accountable."

The DP has only been confiscated one other time in recent years. On May 15, 1987, about 1,000 copies of the paper were removed from distribution points in two Wharton School buildings. The edition included a lead story about a Wharton professor charged with raping his step-granddaughter. Wharton officials had criticized the paper for "inappropriate reporting" that gave "negative impressions" to visiting alumni.

Judicial Inquiry Officer Catherine Schifter said yesterday that one "could speculate" that yesterday's incident was connected to recent complaints about the controversial content of DP columnist Gregory Pavlik's columns. Pavlik said last night that the incident was "peculiar" because it occurred on a day in which his column ran in the newspaper.

"I think it's a peculiar coincidence that they picked today when my column runs," he said. "I've had conflict with certain groups on more of an ideological basis but some people tend to not be able to seperate emotionalism from rationalism . . . It's a potentially explosive situation when emotions get involved."

Associate Vice Provost for University Life Larry Moneta said the administration is treating the issue seriously.

"Both the behavior and the grounds for the behavior are among the most serious issues the University can face," he said. "How we deal with this will say a lot about the campus institution that we have."

Black Student League President Kaplan Mobray said early yesterday that he would release a statement explaining the day's events and the reasons behind them, but no statement was released at press time. No students involved in the confiscation would discuss the incident.