snowdelays
Credit: Julio Sosa

As Penn's campus joins the City of Philadelphia in shutting down operations on Wednesday, the Faculty Senate has, too, announced that all scheduled events for Wednesday's teach-in would be canceled or postponed in light of the fourth Nor'easter to hit this month.

"Penn has suspended normal operations. All scheduled teach-in events will be cancelled or rescheduled. See below for status updates," the weather announcement for Wednesday on the teach-in website read. 

The weather announcement on the website for Thursday indicated that "all events will proceed as scheduled."

The last teach-in at Penn happened 49 years ago in 1969, and the revival of the program, entitled "Production of Knowledge," launched Sunday and was scheduled to last until March 22. Several lectures and events on a variety of relevant topics were planned, including some of the biggest names in city politics and on Penn's campus.

One of the biggest events postponed from Wednesday is the "Immigration Town Hall: The Role of the University in Responding to and Shaping Immigration Law and Policy." 

The new date has yet to be determined for the town hall, which was scheduled to include Miriam Enriquez, executive director of the Mayor's Office for Immigrant Affairs, Sozi Pedro Tulante, who recently joined Penn Law after serving as city solicitor for the City of Philadelphia, two distinguished Penn professors, and a Penn Law graduate.

Other Wednesday events postponed without a set date are "2018 Evan C. Thompson Chair Lecture," "Data Refuge Stories," and "Developing a Culture of Health."

"Post-Carbon Futures" was postponed to April 4, "'Young Frankenstein' screening" was postponed to March 23, and "Lies, Pixels, Video Fakes" was postponed to March 23. "Thinking About Evolution" was canceled.

On Tuesday, the session “Nudging Women to Run," was canceled.

In an email to The Daily Pennsylvanian, Faculty Senate Executive Assistant Patrick J. Walsh explained that, "Because the University has suspended normal operations today, the planned Teach-In events must also be postponed or cancelled at the discretion of the event organizers."

"The Senate office continues to provide updated information as quickly and accurately as is possible.  Please continue to monitor the Teach-In website or the UPenn Faculty Senate facebook [sic] page for updates," Walsh added.