04022014_softballvstemple_copy
Softball beats Temple in overtime, 4-3. Credit: Michele Ozer , Michele Ozer

A trip up north did not treat Penn softball and its three-game winning streak well.

The Quakers, who came into the weekend with momentum after wins over Yale and Temple, fell in all three games they completed, losing to Harvard, 8-3, on Friday before getting swept by Dartmouth, 3-2 and 12-1, during a two-game set.

The Red and Blue (7-14, 2-3 Ivy) started out the weekend with a quick start, getting the lead in their first game on Friday against Harvard (16-11, 3-0) thanks to a solo home run by freshman outfielder Leah Allen in the top of the second inning. However, the Crimson quickly responded by scoring three runs in the bottom half of the second.

From there, Harvard never looked back.

The Crimson gave up an RBI double to freshman Alexis Sargent , but Penn would get no closer than that 3-2 deficit. Harvard added four runs in the fifth inning, putting the game well out of reach before Allen hit her second solo homer of the game in the seventh.

The Quakers took a quick lead in their second game against Harvard, scoring four runs in the third inning on a grand slam by sophomore Korinne Raby . After the Crimson answered with three runs, Penn responded with two two-run rallies led by hits from Sargent and senior catcher Elysse Gorney .

However, just before the game was halted due to darkness, the Crimson tied the game at 8-8 with a five-run rally that was continued by two untimely errors. The schools have not set a makeup date to resume the game. Penn looked to rebound on Saturday at Dartmouth (18-13, 8-0) but the Ivy-leading Big Green had other plans.

Dartmouth pitcher Kristen Rumley out-dueled Penn junior pitcher Alexis Borden for six innings, carrying a 3-0 lead into the final inning. However, the Quakers looked like they were going to overtake the Big Green after a two-run single from senior infielder Kayla Dahlerbruch set the Quakers up with runners on first and second and none out, trailing by one.

However, after a sacrifice bunt from sophomore Lauren Li , Dartmouth picked off freshman Lainey Dorris and the Quakers were unable to push across the tying run.

In the final game on Saturday, the Red and Blue could not muster up much of a challenge against the Big Green. Dartmouth jumped out with an early lead, 2-0, after one inning, but the home team did most of its damage in the bottom of the third.

The Big Green jumped all over freshman pitcher Courtney Cuzick , chasing her two outs into the inning and scoring 10 runs to finish off Penn early.

The Quakers will resume play against Brown on Wednesday at Penn Park.